vermillion horizon

Friday, March 10, 2006

A penny for your thoughts


I just finished reading Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood for the second time - and I can not seem to get it out of my mind. In some ways, I would like to call this book my favorite - Murakami constructs such a compelling aura around the characters that I am inevitably drawn into the story each time I pick up the book. As the protagonist, Toru, struggles through the aftermath of the suicide of his best friend, he tries to make the best of his lonely little world - and I can't help but hope everything will turn out OK for him and the other important people in his life, even though I know it won't.

So why don't I just call this my favorite book? I guess that's where my naive, conservative side takes over. The characters in this book are just plain weird, doing stuff and talking about random things that would have never crossed my mind. This disconnect makes it really hard at times to understand where they are coming from - even though fundamentally maybe we are all searching for the same thing in life, to be accepted and to know where we fit in.


And maybe that's why I can't stop thinking about this book - Norwegian Wood really gets to the heart of what we all go through in trying to make the best of every day.

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you’ll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

2 Comments:

  • Which version do you like more - the Japanese or English? My goal is to someday be able to read this book in Japanese. I have a lot to learn before I can do that!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 6:11 PM  

  • That's interesting! Sometimes I wonder if different translators would interpret parts of the story in different ways...

    I actually just finished reading "South of the Border, West of the Sun" and I didn't like it as much as "Norwegian Wood." But maybe if a different translator had written the English version, I wonder if I would have liked it a little more??

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home