vermillion horizon

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Coup de Thailand


I admit that I don't know as much as I probably should about politics - and I don't often make the time to learn more. But I do know the images of tanks rolling through the streets of Bangkok really made an impression on me - because it wasn't long ago that I was there.

We spent two carefree weeks relaxing in Thailand's dynamic capital city, exploring energetic night markets, snapping photos of colorful temples and palaces, eating amazing food from tiny food stalls on crowded sidewalks. During those days, no thoughts of machine-gun toting soldiers or political demonstrations crossed my mind - my biggest concerns were trying not to get ripped off by tuk tuk drivers and making sure I wore proper attire to temples.

From what I've read over the past couple of days, this coup was pretty peaceful as far as coups go. But I wonder about the long-term implications on this country that seemed so laid-back and welcoming while I was there. Will Thailand ever be the same again? Will it be better off? Or is it heading down a slippery slope to chaos and uncertainty?

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you'll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home