vermillion horizon

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The third beer

I'm not really much of a beer drinker, but I do like hearing about new products. I was surprised to read today about the latest beer trend in Japan: beer brewed with protein from peas or soybeans instead of malt. Apparently by lowering the percentage of malt in the product, breweries can create a beverage which falls into a lower tax category - and can be sold at high volumes for a lower price than normal beer. This category of beer is referred to as the "third beer", following normal beer and happoshu, another low malt alcohol beverage.

I have to wonder what soybean beer - like Kirin Nodogoshi Nama and Asahi Shin Nama 3 - tastes like? The ads I've seen promise a refreshing, crisp taste. But I don't think I believe it. To me, normal beer is bad enough, and these new products almost sound worse. Are they here for good - or are they just a passing trend?

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you’ll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

3 Comments:

  • hmmm, I'm also really curious how it tastes (can I buy it here?). The malt is what I like about beer-- I wonder if these have more hops to cover up the soybean?

    By Blogger Huckle Cat, at 12:45 PM  

  • Hi hc,
    Sushi told me you can buy it here, but I've never seen it (not that I've gone looking... yet). Hmmm... maybe it's worth checking out!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:46 PM  

  • Hi Dory,
    Yeah I don't know anyone who has actually tried it! I would love to hear some opinions...

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home