vermillion horizon

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Double Ten

Chicago's Chinatown came to life this past weekend, as the city's Taiwanese population celebrated Double Ten. A lively parade and energetic performances highlighted Taiwan's National Celebration Day.



The day reminded me of a few years ago when I was actually in Taiwan on Double Ten. We attended the National Day Rally in front of the Presidential Building in Taipei, listening to political speeches we couldn't understand. We spent the afternoon, taking part in the festivities on the grounds of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall - hours of traditional music, dancing, and drama. The celebration continued late into the evening, as we gathered with thousands of other people to watch one of the most amazing fireworks displays I have ever seen.



I doubt I'll ever be back in Taiwan on Double Ten again - but I'm glad we can get a taste of such exciting international festivities in Chicago!

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you'll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home