vermillion horizon

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Drinking gold


The other day I went to Starbucks for my lunchbreak, hoping to relax over a hot pumpkin spice latte in the middle of a hectic day. I hadn't been to Starbucks in awhile, so I didn't realize they had raised prices - a lot!

Well, maybe it wasn't a lot, but on that particular day every other aspect of my visit was so terrible that I became fully aware I was paying almost $4 for a cup of coffee. When I first arrived, the cashier completely ignored me, waiting on the next customer instead. When I finally placed my order, I had to repeat it three times - and then I waited at the end of the bar for five minutes before the barista admitted that she had forgotten my order!

And things didn't get any better. I opened the top of my cup and realized that it wasn't full - I had paid for 12 ounces, but I received only about 9. And when I took a sip, I almost spit it out - it tasted like soap! I don't know what they did to it.

At that point, I was ready to give up and just leave. But I decided to do something I usually hate to do at a restaurant or cafe - complain. Luckily, they made me a new latte, which tasted pretty good - the one bright spot in a terrible visit!

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you'll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

5 Comments:

  • Hello, Ms.horizon!

    That's too bad! What a terrible thing for them to do to you! As you know well, a japanese store usually teaches its clerks that the customer is always right. That is all the more reason why I was so suprised by your story. They should hang their head in shame!

    > I usually hate to do at a restaurant or cafe - complain.

    I can relate to what you're saying. I am sure this shows what a good home you are raised in.

    By Blogger bun, at 6:26 AM  

  • Hi tomato-san,
    Thanks for reading my blog! I hope you're enjoying learning English. Good luck!

    By the way, here's an interesting website about Chicago in Japanese:
    www.usshimbun.com

    Enjoy!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 9:48 PM  

  • Hi bun-san,
    Good to hear from you! Yes, I was so surprised to have such an experience. Usually, the customer service at Starbucks is fine - maybe not as good as in Japan, but OK.

    I miss Japan, where even the employees at McDonald's work hard and hustle all throughout their shift! It's hard to find good service here in the US.

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 9:50 PM  

  • Hi tomato-san,
    You're right! I'm always so happy when I can find polite clerks. I hope you've been able to have some good experiences at restaurants and stores you've been to in Chicago!

    Have a great weekend.

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:42 PM  

  • The last time Starbucks forgot my order, I got a free drink certificate. They should make that standard.

    By Blogger Huckle Cat, at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home