vermillion horizon

Saturday, April 14, 2007

The competition is on

This weekend the US Olympic Committee selected Chicago as America's candidate for the 2016 Summer Olympics. With its dramatic Stir the Soul theme and its comprehensive proposal featuring a "magical" lakefront Olympic village and world class venues, Chicago beat out Los Angeles and will now move on to compete against Tokyo, Prague, and Rome to become the latest Olympic host city. The International Olympic Committee will announce its final decision in October 2009. That seems like a long time away - but Chicago is a city used to waiting!


In the meantime, check out details of Chicago's Olympic bid.


Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you'll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

4 Comments:

  • Yes, I know. Chicago beated L.A. I guess it is rather difficult for Tokyo to win because the Olynpic will be held just 2 seasons before it (in 2008) in another asian city, Beijing. So I hope Chicago will be the winner and that I visit there to enjoy it!

    If the dramatic theme "Stir the Soul" were not for Chicago but for another British city, the title would be "Shake the Soul", I thought reading your article, as Mr.Bond said "Shaken. Not stirred."...Sorry, that was lame.

    By Blogger bun, at 5:14 PM  

  • Hi bun-san,
    You're right. I think it will be difficult for Tokyo to win because of the Beijing Olympics - but maybe another time!

    I was in Kansai a few years ago when an Osaka Olympics was being proposed. My friends living in Osaka were very against the idea! I wonder if their attitude was common? And I wonder if Tokyo residents are excited about their bid?

    It will be exciting to see what happens!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 5:52 PM  

  • Hi! Ms.horizon,

    >My friends living in Osaka were very against the idea! I wonder if their attitude was common? And I wonder if Tokyo residents are excited about their bid?

    Point taken. Yes, it's the very common attitude for the Japanese people when the governers or the local authorities decide to do some huge events such as the Olympics, the World cups and the Expos. But -this may seem strange for you- they never actually get up in arms over those plans and when those events are actually held, they even enjoy them fully as you saw at the Aichi Expo held in 2005 or the FIFA world cup in 2002.

    So, as you may think, I think Tokyo residents are not so excited - for NOW, haha.

    See you on your next update!
    bun

    By Blogger bun, at 7:24 PM  

  • Hi bun-san,
    That's a good point! I'm sure if the Olympics come to Tokyo, people will be truly excited... but the city has to beat Chicago first ;)

    Take care!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home