vermillion horizon

Monday, April 30, 2007

New York treat

I haven't had a chance to travel overseas in the past several months, but I have been to New York, where each city block feels like a new country - and every time I go, I spend hours seeking out things Japanese.

On my most recent trip to New York, I visited Cafe Zaiya, a tiny cafe located just a few blocks from Grand Central Station. To be honest, I go there every time I visit New York (in fact, I think I have blogged about this place before!) I love its convenient location and nostalgic qualities - the efficient, friendly workers with bandanas tied around their hair, the stacks of bento boxs and donburi bowls in the refrigerated case, the neat rows of fresh baked pastries like anpan and melonpan, the J-pop playing on the stereo system. Going into Cafe Zaiya makes me feel like I just stepped into Tokyo.

Chicago needs a place like this!



Cafe Zaiya
18 E. 41st St.
New York, NY 10017


4 Comments:

  • If you know of any cool Japanese places in California (anywhere, please), let me know! Thanks!
    http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Radicalpatriot
    http://www.writingup.com/blog/Radicalpatriot

    By Blogger Radicalpatriot, at 1:11 AM  

  • Hi,
    The only place I have ever been in California is San Francisco, but there's a great Japantown there. Check out this link for more information. Don't miss Tan Tan there!

    http://www.sfjapantown.org/index.html

    Does anyone else have recommendatiosn?

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:45 PM  

  • I've never been to NY, but I must visit it someday. SATC has made NY one of the cities of my dreams.

    I guess Cafe Zaiya would be an oasys in NY desert for the Japanese people there, wouldn't it?

    I often eat Onigiri like the one on your picture for lunch, because it is so tasty for its calories, 150kcal or so. But what pisses me off about Onigiri is that it's rather difficult even for us to unwrap the packaging film correctly following the "1 2 3" instructions on it. So I sometimes fail to keep the attached "nori"(pressed and dried sea weed) in one piece and eat reluctantly the half-bald Onigiri... or oops for the political correctness, I should've written "nori disadvantaged Onigiri" lol.

    I am sure many Americans who get Onigiri for the first time in their lives consider the instructions on the film as a typical example of weird Japanese sensibilities.

    By Blogger bun, at 8:52 AM  

  • Hi bun-san,
    Yes those onigiri wrappers are a mystery to me too! I'm glad to know that Japanese have this problem too. I'm never very optimistic about achieving the intended rice to nori ratio. But I guess that's better than eating soggy nori!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home