vermillion horizon

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Climbing through the clouds


Today was such a rainy day - and it reminded me of another rainy day I spent in Japan not long ago. On that day, I was visiting Kagawa Prefecture. We didn't want to waste a minute of our trip, so we didn't let the rain stop us from going out and enjoying one of the area's most popular tourist destinations: Konpira-san.

Konpira-san is a shrine that is not exactly easy to reach. Visitors must climb over 1,500 steps to reach the inner part of the shrine. But the climb up is not too painful - the first part of the journey takes visitors through a row of crafty shops, udon restaurants, and ice cream stands. And beyond the torii gates, the path winds through tranquil woods - well, they would be tranquil if not for all the camera-toting tourists. But the buzz and excitement of other visitors just adds to the experience.

And if you can make it to the top, there's an amazing view of Kagawa Prefecture - at least, I think there is. It was pretty cloudy up there when I completed my climb on that rainy day!

Each time you finish reading a story, please click here! With just one click every day, you'll be helping my blog ranking. Thank you!! banner_04.gif blue02.gif

4 Comments:

  • 1500! How do the elderly get up there?

    By Blogger Huckle Cat, at 8:43 AM  

  • Hi hc,
    No kidding! I was quite surprised the first time I went there. As I was huffing and puffing my way up the path, people more than three times my age weren't even breaking a sweat! In general, I think the elderly population in Japan is a bit more mobile and active than here in the US - maybe part of the reason their life expectancy is longer than ours!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 12:17 AM  

  • Hi Dory,
    Welcome back - and congratulations on finishing your exams! I hope you enjoy your break. Do you have any special plans?

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 12:18 AM  

  • Hi Polly,
    Yes! It was SO hard. I'm glad you made it! ... I spent a lot of time in Kagawa, so I often ate Sanuki udon. I love it! I wish I could get it here in Chicago.

    Thanks for your comment!

    By Blogger v_horizon, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home